|Entry-level model: $20-$60||For game consoles: $30-$100||With noise-reducing technology: $70-$200|
A Bluetooth headset is a wireless device commonly used to allow a cell phone user to talk without having to hold the phone to their face. This is particularly useful for talking while driving, with more state laws requiring "hands-free" devices. Other Bluetooth headsets can be used for listening to audio on a computer or a media player.
Related articles: Cell Phone, Cordless Phone, Laptop Computer, Desktop Computer, Smartphone
- Bluetooth headsets typically cost $20-$200, depending on features and quality. Brand can also play a factor in the cost.
- Entry-level models of Bluetooth headsets cost $20-$60, but generally lack the ergonomic fit, sound quality and connectivity reliability of the more expensive models. The Jawbone Icon HD is a popular and highly rated model, available on Amazon for $60. The Plantronics Marque 2 is available at Best Buy for $60.
- Higher-priced Bluetooth headsets are $70-$200 and offer higher-quality sound and better noise-reducing technology than some of the lower-priced sets. The Plantronics Voyager Pro is highly rated and sells for $120 at Walmart.
- Bluetooth headsets are available for gaming consoles and cost $30-$100. For example, an Xbox 360 wireless headset with Bluetooth costs $40 at Xbox.com.
- Bluetooth headsets are available for listening to music as well and typically cost $50-$300, depending on quality. Many of those types of Bluetooth headphones have noise-reducing technology. Some have earbuds like the Plantronics BackBeat Go headset, which costs $93 at Walmart. Beats by Dre are over-the-ear headphones and sell for $300 at Best Buy.
What should be included:|
- Features to look for in a Bluetooth headset are call quality, battery life, design and form factor.
- Most cell phones have Bluetooth software installed on them to match the headset to the phone. Still, shoppers need to verify the model is compatible with their phone. Most manufacturers' websites or retailers have a link on the product page that lists which phones are compatible with the headset.
- Most headsets come with replacement "ear foam" or "ear tips" that cover the earpiece and make for a more comfortable fit in the ear. Typically, the sets cost $2-$5. Amazon sells replacement tips for $3.
- Headsets usually come with a battery charging cable, but if they are lost. Bluetooth charges costs $5-$15 to replace.
Shopping for a bluetooth headset:
- Some carriers give away a free Bluetooth headset with the purchase of a new phone and service contract. Cell Phone Shop offers discontinued models at substantial discounts.
- Best Buy offers refurbished and clearance Bluetooth headsets, such as the refurshished Jawbone Era, priced at $60, less than half of the $130 MSRP. While refurbished products offer discounted prices, the warranty on the item can be significantly shorter than on new products.
- Consumer Reports offers tips for selecting the right Bluetooth headset .
- ConsumerSearch.com rated and reviewed several models, as well.
- PC Mag also rated the top 10 Bluetooth headsets.
7 Tricks To Make Home Appliances Last Longer
Give your household equipment a little workout now and then, to make sure anything mechanical will perform well when needed. Periodic exercise can extend the usable life of many items. || Posted October 14 2013
5 Important Things to Know Before a Tornado Hits
This week the Midwest has been battered by tornados, which are one of the most violent and destructive type of storms nature has in its arsenal. || Posted November 19 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Consumer Electronics Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com