|Single-Handset Cordless: $10-$30||Multi-Handset Cordless Phone: $50-$150||Multi-line Cordless: $60-$200|
While many households in the US now rely solely on cell phones for their communication needs, there is still plenty of demand for home cordless phones. New technology means that cordless phones can be linked to cell phones for improved cell reception at home or in the office, while the low cost of Voice Over Internet Service (VoIP) has also boosted sales of cordless phones. Cordless phones rely on landline plans and are the most reliable access to emergency 911 services.
Related articles: Long Distance Phone Calls, Internet Phone Service, Cell Phone, Cell Phone Plan
- Basic single-phone cordless phones that use standard DECT 6.0 technology (the cordless phone standard) typically cost $10-$30. For example, Target sells a basic Uniden phone for $15. Walmart sells a variety of low-cost basic cordless phone handsets including the VTech phone system.
- Phones with multiple handsets cost slightly more, typically calling in the $50-$150 price range. For example, Walmart sells a set of three Panasonic handsets costs $64. Costco sells a set of five handsets for $100.
- Cordless phones with built-in answering machines generally cost $30-$60, depending on the number of additional handsets that are included as well as other features. Best Buy sells a two-handset VTech cordless phone system with an answering machine for $46. J&R Electronics sells a single-handset Panasonic answering machine for $35.
- Cordless phones with multiple lines and a single handset cost $60-$100. For example, Target sells a two-line VTech cordless phone with a single handset for $70. A two-line cordless phone set with an additional handset typically costs $100-$200. For example, Office Depot sells a two-line RCA phone with an additional handset for $162. Additional handsets to expand multi-line cordless phone systems cost $25-$40. Staples sells a Uniden two-line phone expansion set for $30.
What should be included:|
- All cordless phones have a battery-operated wireless handset that communicates with a base station through the use of radio waves. Cordless phones require electricity to operate so all include a power adapter.
- Included with a cordless phone is a user guide, a base and a handset. The handset generally includes a rechargeable battery that can be replaced.
- Some models come with extra handsets and chargers. Some of the cordless sets also include a Bluetooth headset.
- Additional handsets for expandable cordless phone systems cost about $20- $80 each.
- For hands-free talking, a headset will cost about $15.
- Replacement batteries typically cost $5-$15. For example, Radio Shack sells a variety of batteries for cordless phones that cost $7-$12.
Shopping for a cordless phone:
- Best Buy sells refurbished models of cordless phones for reduced prices.
- Sales and specials are common at electronics discount stores. Older-generation models may be sold at a discount compared to the latest models of cordless phones. It's also possible to find discounted prices on open or returned units.
- When shopping for a cordless phone, consider analog vs. digital, frequency, number of handsets, compatibility with multiple phone lines, and extra features such as a built-in answering machine, caller ID and call conferencing.
- Consumer Reports provides tips for buying cordless phones .
- Top Ten Reviews rates a variety of cordless phones .
Forgotten Expenses In a Home Addition Budget
Items like construction costs, permit fees or debris removal aren't the only expenses to consider when calculating the total costs of a home remodeling project. || Posted August 5 2013
And the Best Bacon Is...
This little piggy went to market.After that, Consumer Reports bought samples and tasted to determine which little piggy offered the best bacon.Top honors go to Costco, it turns out. || Posted October 5 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Consumer Electronics Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com