|Posting Photos and Basic Information: Free ||Advanced Search: $19.99-$59.95 per month |
Whether looking for friendship, a weekend date or a marriage partner, millions turn to online dating companies. Some specialty sites cater to niche groups, pairing people interested in others from their religion, age group, hobbies, sexual orientation or physical disability.
Related articles: Online Chat
- Initial sign-up is usually free with most online dating firms; free member status often allows singles to post photos and basic information about themselves and receive details about others. However, users typically must purchase subscriptions in order to access a broader range of services, including the ability to contact other members.
- At $59.95 a month (or $19.95 a month with a one-year contract), eHarmony is one of the largest, most established and most expensive online dating services. The company promotes what it says is a scientific approach to matching singles, based on compatible values and personality traits gleaned from a lengthy questionnaire that new members must complete during registration. eHarmony does not allow members to search for individuals on their own, but sends descriptions of potential matches daily.
- Another major cyberdating company, Match.com , charges $34.99 per month and allows members to contact other singles they have viewed on the site, via anonymous email.
- One month of service with Spark.com costs $24.99. Paid subscribers can search for partners based on keyword descriptions, receive pre-selected matches based on their preferences, or both.
- Zoosk.com charges $29.95 per month for full access that includes being able to contact other subscribers.
- Many companies cater to niche groups. Niche sites exist for singles aged 55 and older , deaf singles , dog lovers and plus-size singles . Online Dating Magazine spotlights some of these sites.
What should be included:|
- On some dating sites, both free members and paid subscribers can search for compatible people based on various personality traits, age and other indicators.
- However, some sites permit non-subscribers to only view a person's basic information. For example, on SeniorMatch.com , free members can conduct only a basic search including age range, gender and region of residence. Paid subscribers can search by more specific criteria.
- Most company's websites include safety tips for cyberdating, as does Online Dating Magazine , an independent consumer watchdog publication.
- Online Dating Magazine also lists prices charged by some major dating sites and also carries site reviews .
Shopping for online dating:
- Many companies do not give subscription prices before people have completed the free initial sign-up process.
- Nearly all online dating services extend discounts to people who sign up longer term and pay the full amount up front. For example, while a one year plan costs $139.92 at Date.com ($11.66 per month), it's $34.95 for a one-month contract.
- eHarmony offers its dating services only to heterosexuals. However, eHarmony also operates a separate dating site for lesbians and gays, CompatiblePartners.net .
- Subscription charges automatically renew after the initial period ends unless the company is notified to cancel a membership and stop the charge. Be sure to check the terms of service to understand when cancellation notifications must occur. Many have this information on their Help or Frequently Asked Questions page.
Forgotten Expenses In a Home Addition Budget
Items like construction costs, permit fees or debris removal aren't the only expenses to consider when calculating the total costs of a home remodeling project. || Posted August 5 2013
And the Best Bacon Is...
This little piggy went to market.After that, Consumer Reports bought samples and tasted to determine which little piggy offered the best bacon.Top honors go to Costco, it turns out. || Posted October 5 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Consumer Electronics Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com